Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Transformation of a Door

This post contains affiliate links that help me continue this blog. Thanks for your support!
As promised, here is the post about how I transformed an old door into a dining room table. Now, fair warning, it is by no means a "Formal Dining Room Table", but, the hubster and I are not formal type people so it is perfect with all of its imperfections.

Materials:
Old Door
(2)- 4x4's (I used Douglas Fir) (Cut down to 28" long)
(3)- 1x4's (I used Pine)
Kreg Jig
Kreg Jig Screws (I used 1-1/2" Coarse Screws)
Drill
Saw
Paint Stripper (ICK!)

That pretty much sums up the materials. I also used a scraper, paint brush, drop cloth, straight edge, but those were all things most people have around the house

First things first- I would recommend completing this project outside or in a garage. As the weather has been very wet here and I have been anxious to get started, and we have no garage, I opted to just deal with the dust.

1. I had to do some basic prep work to the door before I even began. I scraped it down as much as possible, and stripped the paint off according to the directions on the package. I have to say, that was my least favorite part only because it stinks, is messy business, and is definitely toxic. This part I completed outside, for obvious reasons.






2. I cut my 4x4's down to 28" because the table was about 1" thick and a standard table is 29" tall. I then cut my 1x4's down to length for the skirt boards. Everyone's length would be different depending on the length of the table. What I did: I took the length of the door, subtracted 4" because I wanted a 2" perimeter underneath, then I subtracted another 8" due to the 2 legs widths. I did the same for the short ends of the table. (Side note- I do not have a table saw so I make a "jig" [probably not the correct term] with an extra board and clamps to follow along)



3. I used the Kreg Jig and followed the directions. Basically, I used the A&B holes and the A&C holes so that there was no chance of the screws running into each other. I put the holes on the inside of the skirt boards so that they would be hidden when all was said and done. Make sure you follow the Kreg Jig instructions so that you put the holes on the right side of the board. Also, in addition to the 2 holes on the ends of the skirt boards, I drilled 3 holes along the length of the long skirt boards and 2 holes along the short skirt boards so that I could attach the legs and skirt boards to the table.



4. I dry fit everything. I screwed the legs and skirt boards together. Funny thing- I didn't realize that there was an extra long drill bit with the Kreg Jig kit, and I tried with a regular bit- to no avail. Silly me!


5. I laid the legs and skirt board "box" on the underside of the table and made sure to center it, measuring twice, screwing once.

6. I screwed the skirt boards (which already were attached to the legs) to the table.

7. Hubby helped me flip it over and voila-  a new table!







8. Still to come- the paint and glass top for the finishing touches!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...